Thursday, June 02, 2011

Last Day of School!!!

YAY!!!  It's the last day of school for Kendall!  Of course, we celebrate the last day of school EVERY year, but this year it's an even bigger celebration and a sigh of relief.  Kendall had a really rough year, with a teacher who was...oh, how shall I say it...less than nurturing.  Downright mean some days.  Not any fun at all, really.  If they were having a field day, or rally, or party of any kind, she did whatever she could to suck the fun right out of it for those kids.  My happy-go-lucky kid was miserable and hated school by the third month.  I am SO GLAD 4th grade is over for her!  On to 5th and (hopefully) a better year!

So today, on my last day of semi-autonomy ( I still have Noah attached to my side), I am taking a moment to update here, then I plan to run around the house and pick up, make beds, start laundry, and clean up the kitchen before trying to fit in 30 minutes of yoga.  Shower, head into town to pick up Noah's health form for his kindergarten registration, hit the bank, and then to Kendall's school for the last-day-of-school Arnett Howard concert...always a blast!

We leave for our big trip to the Canadian Rockies on Tuesday, so I am hoping to find the time to at least sit out clothes for the kids' suitcases and start thinking ahead for things we need to take, like swimsuits, goggles, base layers, fleece pullovers (yep, it's the mountains, people!), and small items to keep them busy on the long flight and even longer drive.  Photography equipment.  Snacks.  Some Caribou coffee for Sarah...it's her favorite, and she can't get it in Canada.  Time to start getting serious!  Oh yeah, and I also have to reserve our car and hotel room for the first night.  So much to do, and yet I sit here blogging....  :)  Oh well...a few minutes won't kill me.

We had the 4th grade band meeting last week, where the band director talked to us about band, the benefits of playing an instrument, the camaraderie of the band, etc.  I already knew Kendall was interested, so there was no shock when she wanted to go back this week for a "fitting".  She had thought that she wanted to play the sax, but once we went through the whole fitting, she decided the clarinet was a better fit for her.  I couldn't have been happier, since we actually have a clarinet that the neighbor girl gave Kendall a year or so ago.  I had brought it with me to the fitting to have it checked out and they said it was in great shape and she was good to go.  How lucky am I to not have to fork out $900+ for a new instrument?  Soooooooo happy!!!  For the record, I also would have been thrilled if she had chosen the flute...since we still have the one I played.  I could have died when she said she wanted to play the sax!  But that's the way it goes more times than not, probably.  Whatever instruments you have are NOT the ones the kids want to play, LOL!  So anyway, I'm feeling like I totally lucked out this time around.  Woo-hoooo!


Other than that, there's really not anything super exciting going on around here.  I've almost got my garden finished, now I just have to make sure Luke waters while we're gone.  We planted strawberries, basil, chives, oregano, cilantro, mint, flat leaf parsley, tomatoes (5 varieties), turnips, parsnips, onions, lettuce, cabbage, leeks, canteloupe, peas, and green beans.  I still have 2 beds to plant, which will house zucchini, cucumbers, and carrots.  I'll be very happy to have that finished!  And even more happy when we start to harvest!  Well, actually, we've already had a mini-harvest...check out my flat leaf parsley and lettuce I cut the other night...

Crazy, right?  Does anyone need any flat-leaf parsley????  What the heck am I going to do with all that?  And there is still PLENTY out there.  Holy moly.

Looks like it's going to be a gorgeous day, so I'd best get my work done and get moving...have a great day, peeps!

1 comment:

Kate said...

holy parsley, batman! you'll have lots of fresh breath in your house :)

i keep thinking of you when i place our peapod order every week b/c they now sell graeter's ice cream on there. raspberry chip, eh?

have a great trip!!

 
Designed by Lena