Friday, April 22, 2011

Random Thoughts Friday

Well here it is, Good Friday already!  The kids didn't have school today, so we let them have a campout in the basement last night complete with tent, campfire snacks, sleeping bags, and a fire in the woodburning stove.  They were in heaven!  I'll tell you what, those kids were pooped from all our running this week...Noah slept until 8:45 and Kendall didn't get up until 9:15!!!  What a treat for me, since I was (unfortunately) up at 6:45...for no reason whatsoever. 


On this kind of icky, rainy day, I thought I'd take a minute to purge my head of all the random thoughts that bang around in there on a daily basis.  It's been a while since I've done that!

1.)  I made my first ever batch of cake pops for the kids to take to school on Thursday.  I'm so inspired by Bakerella, and I really want to be like her!  But here's the dealio peeps...I do NOT possess the patience or the attention to detail that woman must have.  I mean, her creations are bonafide works of art!  Don't get me wrong, mine turned out ok, and I was happy with them...but if you have a chance, check out her blog.  It is UNREAL!

2.)  I've been giving some thought to trying to nudge my family into a gluten-free diet.  Little by little, of course.  Heck, even if we cut down just halfway, I'd be pleased with that.  But we'll see.  I think we do pretty much ok in most cases, and I'm always intimidated by any kind of diet that is restrictive.  I think we should be able to enjoy it all...IN MODERATION.  But I can also see the benefit in reducing our gluten intake.  Plus, I've been a follower of Stephanie O'Dea's Crockpot 365 blog, where she makes everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in her crockpot...and her family is gluten free.  Since we've been trying quite a few of her recipes, I've realized it's not THAT hard.  Maybe I'll give it a go.  We'll see!

3.)  Remember Fletcher and Josie, the 2 kittens we adopted back in January?  Well they are growing fast and getting so much personality!  They are very much a part of the family, and they eventually did take to Scout...heck, Fletcher climbs all over Scout, even going so far as to stick his head in Scout's mouth.  They have decided it is their "right" to share Scout's food & water whenever they see fit, and he doesn't seem to care in the slightest.  It's a good thing, as Martha would say!

4.)  We just booked our airfare for our trip to the Canadian Rockies this summer.  It's just a little over a month away, and we are so excited!  We're headed out to Canmore, Alberta to visit our friends Sarah and Torben.  I can hardly wait.  The kids will have an absolute ball...we'll get to take them hiking and sightseeing...it's unbelievably beautiful there!

5.)  I'm very annoyed by these gas prices.  I usually try not to complain, as it doesn't do any good and just ruins your mood, but geesh!  With the amount of driving I do, the amount we're spending in gas is downright ridiculous!

6.)  I'm working on getting my blog up to date, I promise.  I've been so busy, I haven't posted about our trip to DC, the building we're building, the progress of my garden, any of the goodies I've been making, Barry's progress with finishing the basement, the kids' tkd testings, or ANY of the fun things that have been going on around here!  I'm hoping to get caught up over the next week, since things may slow down just a little.  Bear with me!

7.)  As much as I admit it, I think I'm going to have to give up the ghost soon and upgrade my phone before long.  I LOOOOOOVE my Palm Treo.  I DO!!  But she's been freezing up on me quite a bit here lately and I have had her for over 3 years, which doesn't sound really long, but in terms of a cell phone, I guess she's kind of outdated.  I don't care, I still love her and I'm not sure another phone will measure up.  We'll see.   And please don't suggest a phone that requires a data package...I don't NEED internet on my phone.  I'm connected much more than I need to be already!

8.)  My dog is the sweetest, most handsome doggie I know.  I love him so much!  But I swear, if he gets into the trash and drags it all over the house ONE MORE TIME this week, we are going to be having a "come to Jesus" meeting. 

9.)  I do not own an MP3 player.  No, there is nothing wrong with me.  I just don't see the need.  I have a radio, and my kids talk nonstop.  I relish quiet!

10.)  I watched Despicable Me with the kids this morning, and I have decided that like Gru, I NEED MINIONS!  Just think of all the things I could accomplish!  :)

11.)  Barry ROCKED my 40th birthday, just so you know...he is the best hubby!

12.)  People get on my nerves from time to time.  And although I try to be a positive person most of the time, I'm okay with that.  I think it's normal.  Just keep me in check if I start sounding like a negative, pessimistic, downer, ok?

13.)  I don't want to live in a world without chocolate!  My will to live would shrivel up and die.

14.)  Sometimes I'm a tad bit dramatic.  (See #13)

15.)  Noah and I went to Graeter's today and I actually squealed when I saw that Strawberry Chip was on the seasonal board.  Girlfriend needs her ice cream fix!

16.)  I'm happy with our barn, now that it's almost finished.  It looks much better with all the trim up and the cupola and the concrete.  Now, let's get all the stuff out of the basement, honey!  :)

17.)  Tomorrow we head to the big NK for Easter bowling with the Kucks...I'm actually very excited, as the bowling alley has some really good pizza, and I haven't had pizza in a while.  Let's hope this year Noah lets me win. 

18.)  I just finished Jeannette Walls' " Half Broke Horses" and I loved it.  It's a must for anyone who loved "The Glass Castle", which is a MUST for...well, everyone!

That's it for now, peeps...we've got to get to taekwondo.  Enjoy the Easter weekend and make sure you eat lots of goodies!

1 comment:

Jenelle said...

love these little snapshots of your life.

 
Designed by Lena