Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Friends

As all girls know, a good girl friend is a necessity in life.

In all the different eras of my life thus far, I can remember always having a "best" friend that I spent all of my time with. However, something always happened to end those friendships. Most of the time I was completely clueless and confused as to what had changed! I don't know if I just get on people's nerves after awhile, or if I don't read people well. Honestly, I think I only ever ended two friendships in my entire life! Either way, in my twenties I was sad to find myself having moved to Columbus after my engagement with no close girl friends to speak of. Now don't get me wrong, I had plenty of friends, just not that one friend with whom you just "click" and you never get sick of...the friend who has known you since childhood, understands you completely, can talk all night and still have things to talk about the next morning, who knows all of your quirks and annoying habits and likes you anyway, who knows your heart inside and out.

My mom and her best friend have had that kind of relationship since they were very young girls, and still do. My sister still keeps in touch with a lot of her "group" from high school....she had so many good friends that they were a GROUP...like a package deal. I have countless friends who still get together with their best friends from high school on a regular basis. But I didn't have that, and I longed for it in the depths of my soul.

That is, until I started going to the chiropractor for my headaches. He had his massage therapist work on my neck, and lo and behold, we were from the same area and found plenty to talk about. Before long we were doing things together, and little by little, THAT kind of friendship was formed! Yes, I'm talking about Sheri, of course! And let's not forget Sarah, my favorite Canadian! I also have Heather,Alicia, and Amy, though I don't see them often enough due to where they live. Additionally, I've met even more good friends since moving out here to the boondocks. So for all the years I watched movies like Steel Magnolias, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Beaches, Circle of Friends...(you know, all the "lifelong friend" movies) and fretted about the fact that I didn't have that kind of relationship and might never...now my cup runneth over, you might say. And I couldn't be happier.

So when Kendall's friend Kayla gave her this the other day...
and she was so happy she cried...I understood. Boy, did I ever.

Because like I said, a good girl friend is a necessity in life.

4 comments:

terri said...

That's so great that you've now found a bunch of "those" kind of friends. I have a few friends like that and one who is my very, very best friend. Don't know what I'd do without her. Girlfriends are definitely a necessity.

Sheri said...

I'm the lucky one in our friendship, Jen! You are such a good friend that if we were on a sinking ship and there was only one life jacket, I would miss you terribly and think of you often!!!
Love Ya Lots :]

(Actually, maybe we could take turns sharing the jacket until the Coast Guard arrived....even though, you know I don't swim.............)

Jen said...

why am I crying?
(big sigh)
I miss those kinds of friends. It's been a while...I could use one. (that lives near me so I can actually SEE her)
Yay for you! I know that good friendships take work...so it's probably ME--the problem. I'm too busy to devote myself to much of anything in particular.
I have my mom though...and even though that is not exactly like a girlfriend (I just CAN'T talk about sex with her!) it's pretty close. She is my best (girl) friend and I am SO blessed to have her so close and in my daily life!

Teresa said...

Awe...I absolutely LOVED this post~! You just about made me cry when I saw the picture of Kendall's necklace and you wrote that you understood...and I'm not joking about crying this time! LOL!

Women and their friendships...it's not optional. We need girlfriends!! :)

 
Designed by Lena