Thursday, September 02, 2010

The End of the Trip

Sorry for the delay in posting, peeps! My laptop is finally all fixed up and I am ready to burn this blog up! I have so many things to post about!

So let me just finish off our little roadtrip first. The day after we checked out the Daisy Airgun Museum, we had plans to go to Devil's Den state park. Unfortunately, we got a late start to the day and it was farther away than we had bargained for, so we decided instead to go to Pea Ridge National Military Park. The Battle of Pea Ridge was a land battle of the Civil War, fought March 6–8, 1862, at Pea Ridge in northwest Arkansas. In the battle, Union forces defeated Confederate troops, the outcome of which essentially cemented Union control of Missouri. The battlefield itself was unbelievable to look at...of course, it was a beautiful day and all, but the vastness of it and the cannons set up really helped you to see what it must have been like. The kids had fun, but you know how that goes...they're interested in a few high level facts and then they're on to the next thing. But Barry LOVES this kind of stuff. He just walked around reading everything and soaking it all up. I take in things that are interesting to me and take pictures. That's how we roll. :)

After visiting Pea Ridge, we were hot and sweaty and ready to cool off, so Amy took us to the pool. It felt AWESOME. The kids played and played until they were ready for ice cream, and then we headed out. The next morning it was time to hit the road. We wanted to make it all the way to St. Louis so we could spend some time at Cabela's. Yes, Cabela's was a highlight of our trip!

We got moving early and stopped at an IHOP for brunch...Barry and the kids LOVE IHOP. I would have rather gone to Panera, but I was outnumbered. Bummer. Anyway, we scarfed down pancakes, eggs, bacon, and fruit, and then headed out to St. Louis! We went to Cabela's first and spent a few hours there. Yes, I said HOURS!!! Who knew you could spend hours in that store?? We had so much fun, checking out all the hunting, camping, & fishing supplies. We got some great deals too. Of course we still helped stimulate the economy! Hahaha. After we were done stocking up on safety glasses, hunting boots, and the like, we headed out to find our hotel and ordered a pizza. We were hungry, and the kids were itchin' to swim, so we decided to keep it simple. After a good night's sleep, it was time to hit the road. Our plan was to make it into Ohio and just over the border to my Mom's house, where we would spend the night before making the rest of the trip back to Columbus. We had had such a good time, but of course, there's no place like home! Everything was going according to schedule...we had seen the arch in St. Louis, made it through the traffic in Indianapolis, and then about 20 minutes from my Mom's, we hit a detour that took us completely out of our way on a bunch of little country roads. Ugh! But we did eventually make it, and the kids had lots of stories for Grandma Cindy!

No comments:

Designed by Lena