Friday, November 10, 2006

I am Officially....

I have made yet another huge step in the life of a mother. I am now "officially" the parent of a school-age child. I had my first parent-teacher conference last night, and I was NERVOUS!

I don't know why...Kendall's teacher had already told me she was doing great, reading like crazy and getting along with the kids in her class. But one little fear I had was confirmed...

Kendall is a talker, AND a leader.

That combination is deadly in a classroom of 23 kids.

So, we had a discussion with Kendall last night about choosing to focus on her work instead of talking to the kids at her table. And even though we understand that she likes the kids and wants to be friends with them, it isn't always appropriate to be giggling and goofing off. And do you know what she said to us?

"But I can't help myself!"

Yeah. This is what we're dealing with. So, we had to get busy with some positive reinforcement. If we see major improvement in a 2 week period, she gets the Math Missions Leapster game she wants so badly. And if not...

then there is going to be some major privilege reduction going on at the Kuck house.

And if this is a sign of things to come, Kendall's teacher said that she was as good as gold today. Who says bribery doesn't work???


No comments:

 
Designed by Lena