Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fabulous Fall!

Fall is such a busy time for us...is it for you too?

Between getting all of those "summer" projects finished up before the cold weather hits to cleaning out closets, trying to take advantage of the apple farms and pumpkin farms, carving jack-o-lanterns, bonfires, school parties, and getting your garden put to bed for winter... there just isn't time for anything else, is there?

Here I was, feeling like I was finally back in the groove with my blogging. I had been so good about writing every other day and taking pictures to go along with our adventures...and then fall hit. But hey, that's ok. Ya'll are probably too busy to read every other day anyway, aren't you?

So let's see...what's been going on around here? Well, my brother is still living with us, and that is going well. He started a new job a week and a half ago, and while it is not his "dream job", it will do for now until he gets settled here in central Ohio. The kids are really enjoying having him around, even though he can be a bigger pest than them most of the time!! And of course, Barry is enjoying having someone to sit and drink beer and watch football with, as well as talk hunting and practicing shooting their bows...deer season is upon us, you know! The hunters have to be ready...especially if they want to each bring 3 home! What will we do will all that meat?!?! LOL!

Remember this project??Well, Barry has been hard at work on the finishing touches of our new woodburning stove and getting the basement finished. I'm not going to show you any recent pictures, because I'm waiting for at least the stove to be finished. All in good time! This week he has been trying to get all of the stovepipe installed, and tonight he should be finishing the chimney. Then we are ready for our first fire, which we have to burn with the windows open to let the fumes out. After that, we are all set for the cold weather...YIPPPEEEE!! There's nothing better than wood heat in the middle of winter. I will probably live in the basement for the next 6 months...and I can hardly wait!! And these are the big boxes the various sections of chimney pipe came in...My kids have been coveting these for weeks, and are driving Barry crazy asking him if he's done with them yet. I think he's almost done, kids!!! I can't wait to see what they make with these!

Last week, I finally did something I've been wanting to do for years. CANNING. With my big garden, it seems silly that I don't know how to can, but I was intimidated...what can I say? So last week, Dad and Taffy came down and spend their day showing me how to make and can applesauce. We peeled and cut a bushel of Gala and Yellow Delicious apples, cooked them down, and when they tasted just perfect, canned them in my favorite quart sized Mason jars. I ended up with 11 pints (one jar broke during processing) and 8 quarts. Not too shabby!! I am so excited, I can't wait for my next canning excursion! Who knows WHAT it will be!! And let me tell you folks...it was so easy, it was almost laughable. I can't believe I was so intimidated! And homemade applesauce tastes so much better than the stuff at the grocery.I just found out that the kiddos are going to Grandma Cindy's this weekend, and I am SO PSYCHED about it! Not that I want to be away from them, but as you may or may not know, for the past year, I have been on a purging and organizing mission. I've been selling things on Craig's List left and right. I participated in my first garage sale ever this summer and made over $500. (And I still have TONS of kids clothes and other things to sell...can't wait for May!) I would say we've sold close to $3,000-$4,000 worth of stuff in the past 18 months. That's what I'm talkin' about!!! So anyway, this weekend while the kiddos are gone, I will be having my carpets cleaned and also cleaning out closets/dressers and toys. I have a big box of donations ready to go and I can't wait to get all of this stuff out of my house! I am also planning on purging my files and getting my office cleaned up and organized. Oh yeah, I almost forgot...I am also trading services with a personal organizer!!! She gets massage, I get help organizing my house!!!! WAHOOOO!!! Does it get any better than that?

And one more little tidbit...the extra Kitchenaid mixer sold on Ebay on Friday!!! We shipped it off to Arizona, and we are so happy it's done! It's been a good week, peeps. Hope yours has been good too! Now get out there and enjoy this beautiful fall weather before it's gone!!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena