Thursday, December 17, 2009

Life


Sometimes life just has a way of getting so insanely busy that you spend all of your time planning, executing, cleaning up, and planning some more. When you add to that all of things that you do out of feeling the need to contribute, or things that you let yourself be guilted into...well, life spins out of control. You know what I mean?

Over the past 9 months or so, it seems that life around here is moving at earth-shattering speed. In addition to Kendall's school schedule and her few extra-curriculars, we have Noah's school schedule and swimming lessons...as well as my work schedule and Barry's (of course). There are volunteer days every week, along with all my other "mom" duties, such as cleaning, cooking, laundry, and just the general managing of the house and everyone's schedules. Oh yeah, and to top it all off, Barry switched jobs. Two weeks before Christmas!! I've found myself running constantly, always feeling like I'm behind the 8-ball, and never feeling like I can just sit for a minute. And in case you're wondering...YES, I know this is the life of a mother!!! But, Barry and I have decided we MUST find a way to simplify, because this is no good. So after much discussion and listing of pros and cons, we have decided that the best way to do just that is to close my office. The last day of my lease is December 31, and my last official day of work in my office is next Tuesday...EEEEK!!!

I must admit that I'm a little sad about letting my office go, but here's the dealio, peeps...I need to be home more. That's just the reality. My kids need me, my husband needs me, and Lord KNOWS my house needs me...LOL!!! With things being so slow at work, it just isn't worth it for me to keep the office open. I am planning to keep my corporate work, and only do that on Tuesdays...and we will keep Noah in childcare just that one day per week. It's good for him, and it's good for me, too. Some of my faithful clients have asked (in only a slightly panicky voice) if I will come to their houses...and the answer is yes. My schedule will just be much less flexible. But on the whole, I must say that all of my clients have been overwhelmingly supportive!!! I've been seeing some of them for 10 years, so I know this was a little of a shock. But hey, I really do have wonderful people for clients. I've known that for years!

The way we see it, this is just a break. If I decide to come back in a year or so, I can. I'm keeping my skills fresh with the corporate work and a few good clients on the side. Or, maybe I'll decide there's a new path for me...a new passion. Who knows? But for right now, it's FAMILY FIRST in 2010. That's where my focus needs to be.

As I was struggling with this decision, I called my friend Beth, who called me right out by saying..."Hey, what is the name of that blog you write again? A SIMPLER LIFE???? Get on it, girl...get back to that simpler life!!"

She couldn't have been more right. I'd lost my way for a little while, but I'm back for 2010!!!! Let's just hope I haven't forgotten how to write! :)

Bring on the New Year! I'm ready...are you?!?!

5 comments:

KC said...

Congratulations Jen! A simpler life is definitely a happier one for all.
I actually just told my husband a few weeks ago, that I don't mind not having the huge fancy house and all the NEW stuff like some of our friends. They may have it all, but they aren't happy. They work non-stop, and are never even home to enjoy any of it. We actually love each other and spend time together as a family, and that's what counts in the long run. :)
Enjoy every moment of it!!!

terri said...

Congratulations! This sounds like it'll be good for you and the family!

kenady said...

YAY for you!!! i wish i could do the same. might have to have a heart to heart with the hubby. i'm so jel and happy for you all at once!!

Kate said...

I am so happy to read that Jen! All those 'things' we're always rushing to accomplish, purchase, or check off the list . . . they only give us temporary happniess that fades as soon as it appears. Putting the family on top of the list is the best choice, no matter who you are. That's an investment that will never fail you. I wish you a wonderfully simple 2010 :)

Claire said...

Congratulations!!! I am so looking forward to waking up on the morning of Jan. 5th and knowing that I am done with the newspaper and I am excited about my new life and now I read about what you are doing--- life is an adventure and I want to make sure I don't lose that perspective. I'm even going to get my passport - not that I can afford to travel - but I just want to be ready! I was just visiting your cooking blog and gained 10 lbs just reading it - I love that blog!!!

 
Designed by Lena