Monday, August 07, 2006

Selfish

So you all know who the Veggie Tales are? They are cartoons featuring talking vegetables who put on stories from the bible for kids. They are really cute, and have catchy songs!

That said, let me just tell you a story....

Kendall got her most recent Netflix selection, and it was Veggie Tales: King George and the Ducky. This is the story of King George, who felt that he was the only important person in the world, and therefore, everything he wanted should be his...no matter what. So anyway, King George LOVES his rubber ducky...and he has an entire closet of duckies. BUT, a poor little boy in the village has a ducky that King George feels he simply MUST have! You see where this is going, don't you?

Obviously, the moral of the story is not to be selfish. And let me just add here that Kendall takes all of these little lessons to heart...and very literally. Those of you who know her well know exactly what I'm talking about! So, the other night, after watching her Veggie Tales movie, she turns off the tv, comes over to me and sits on my lap and says:

"Mama?"

"Yes, Bug?"

"I am very ashamed of myself."

"WHAT? WHY?!"

"I've been selfish towards Noah. I haven't been sharing nicely and I've been hiding my toys from him. But I'm going to be better...I'm not going to be selfish anymore!"

(Now keep in mind, she is being VERY animated while she is saying all of this...eyes big and wide, head bowed, etc.)

"Well, Kendall, I'm sure Noah would understand that you don't want him to play with ALL of your toys...some of them are breakable. But I AM proud of you for wanting to do better. And anyway, the important thing is that you two play TOGETHER!"

GEESH! Sometimes I feel like we're doing confession! But hey, at least she's still honest. But the story doesn't stop there....OH NO, IT CERTAINLY DOES NOT!

Later that night, Barry and I each received a package wrapped up in newspaper and tied with ribbon. They each had a note tied to them. When we opened them, there was a seashell in each that she had collected on our last trip to the beach. My note said:

DEAR MOM,

I WILL NOT BE SELFISH.

LOVE, KENDALL

And Barry's said the same....

Yes, folks...this is the drama we live with. Sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's not so good. But on this day, we just smiled and thanked our lucky stars that she IS listening!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That certainly sounds like the Kendall I know and love...
Sheri

 
Designed by Lena