Sunday, March 04, 2007

3 weeks...?

I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since my last post! My, does time move along quickly. I guess it's time for some updates!

THE Y
We finally decided to join the Hilliard YMCA. Very exciting for us, since there is NO place to work out in our town. We went in a week ago and got the paperwork going and then
I took the kiddos swimming while Barry worked out...very fun. Kendall of course, is a little fish. Noah just wasn't sure about this whole pool thing. He just wrapped his legs around me and held on as I walked up and down the length of the pool, inching him down a little more into the water on each trip. By the end of the hour, he was in up to his shoulders and "jumping" off the side of the pool. Then Barry came in and I went to sit in the sauna while he played with the kiddos. Of course, we went on Monday too. We registered the kids for childcare so we could work out together...and let me just say for one moment that going back to working out is not easy! It's been, say, 6 years or so since I've worked out seriously...and it SHOWED. I felt lost as soon as we walked in. My aerobic capacity was underwhelming, to say the least. And I am WEAK. Yep, that's weak with all capitals... W E A K !!!! It will get better, I know. But hell, it's going to be a rough road to get to that better place.

SOPHIE
Two weeks ago we adopted a dog. A very sweet beagle/lab mix. She was everything the shelter said she was....and more.

Let's just talk a minute about severe separation anxiety. It's not pretty. In the 20 minutes I was gone to take Kendall to school the first day, she destroyed the baby gate, knocked everything off the kitchen counters and scratched up my wood door. The next day I crated her and somehow she got out. Lord knows how...the crate door is still closed and latched!

Then there was the male aggression. Every man that got within 25 feet of her was subject to lunging and crazy barking and teeth baring. One man even put out his hand in an attempt to calm her, and she tried to bite him. Not good.

After much deliberation and conversations with a dog trainer, we decided she had to go back to the shelter. She needed much more time and help than we could reasonably provide. Enter Janet.

Janet wanted to take Sophie. This would be her third rescue dog, and she fell in love with her immediately. Great. I took her to Janet's house on Tuesday night, and cried the whole way home, feeling as if I gave up on her. Then on Tuesday, Janet called and said she didn't think it was going to work out. OMG. What happened, you ask??? Well, it seems that when Janet went to work, she put Sophie in her basement (finished, of course) just because she wasn't sure how she'd do having the run of the house. Anyway, when she got home, Sophie has completely DESTROYED her basement, tearing up woodwork, carpeting, etc. So needless to say, Sophie went back to the Humane Society. She will make a great dog for someone who works from home, or can be with her CONSTANTLY. The Humane Society is going to put a requirement on her that she can only be adopted into homes with another dog so she won't be alone. I feel better about it now, knowing that it was the right thing to do, but it still hurt. The right dog is out there, I just know it!

GET YOUR SCRAP ON!
I went away this weekend for a scrapbooking retreat with my friend Beth. It was a lot of fun! And I did some really nice work, I am happy to report! The food was great, the bunking was, well...interesting. The people were really nice, and it was great to spend some one-on-one time with Beth. We stayed up Friday night working until 4:30 a.m...and breakfast was served at 8:30...UGH! But we went on and worked a bit on Saturday before heading out. The event went until 5:30, but I was done at 3. Just couldn't squeeze one more ounce of creativity out of me! Check out what I accomplished!


And that's about it for my updates! Hope you've all been keeping busy as well!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena