Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Why I Love Ohio

I love Ohio. I know there are awesome places to visit and live in this wonderful country of ours, but I really like it right here. Oh believe me, I really do like vacationing in all of those places! San Diego is awesome, for example. But I don't really want to live there. I entertain the notion every time I visit, but I know I wouldn't be happy there for long because there are no seasons. Arizona is really beautiful in a vast sort of way, with lots of interesting culture, but again...visiting is fun, but not the place to live! I've never been up the east coast, but would love to travel the whole thing some day. Texas was fun, but not for the long-term. Hot, and too many big bugs. Florida has too many retirement villages for my liking, and it's too freakin' hot. The Carolinas are too touristy, and WAY too much golf there for my liking (sorry Reggie!)....

But Ohio? Yes. I like Ohio. I realize that I am a bit biased about that, since I have always lived here, but we really do have it good.

1.) First, and most importantly, we have a full range of seasons. Or temperatures swing a full 100 degrees throughout the year. We have snowstorms (which I love), awesome foliage in the fall, a long summer, and a beautiful green spring. Just about the time you start getting sick of the heat, or the snow, or the rain, the seasons change. Like right now. I am ready to be done with summer. My jeans and yoga pants are calling me!

2.) We are home to Graeter's Ice Cream...the best ice cream on earth.

3.) There is no football experience that can compare to a home game in the 'Shoe. NONE. Brutus, The Best Damn Band in the Land, Script Ohio, tailgating, the drum major dotting the "i", Carmen Ohio, Papa Joe's (a moment of silence, please), buckeye necklaces, High Street, Gordon Gee and his embroidered buckeye pants and bowtie....and I could go on and on. Those game days are the biggest attraction in central Ohio throughout the fall!

4.) Reasonable traffic. Yeah, I used to complain about traffic...but that was before I visited California. It's all goooood here.

5.) Small towns and friendly people. Some of the friendliest you'll meet!

6.) All of my family and all of my in-laws live here.

7.) Relatively low cost of living!

8.) Lots of good routes for a drive...right, Rick??

9.) One of the largest Amish communities in the U.S. ... beautiful furniture and quilts, and yummy food!

Yeah, I know it may not be the most exciting place to visit. I'll give you that. Not exactly vacation material...but to live? Yeah, it's pretty good.

As they say... Ohio, the heart of it all...

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena