Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Oh, Sweet Summer!

Just one more reason to love summer...STRAWBERRIES!!!!

Our patch is so overgrown with weeds this year (this fall we definitely have our work cut out for us)...but we are already getting strawberries! Kendall and I couldn't resist the urge to get out there and get pickin'!! This year the berries are smaller, but still very sweet. Noah just stood in the patch, asking for one after another...not working, just eating...which is actually fine with me, seeing as how he probably would've stomped all over my plants AND the ripening strawberries! Oh, the horror!!!

I knew when we moved out here that I HAD to have a strawberry patch. I remember summers when I was little, going to my Grandma's house and plopping myself down right in the middle of her strawberry patch. It was like heaven...the berries were so big and red, and warm from the sun. I would just sit there and eat one after another until my belly was full and my face was stained red. What a wonderful memory...I can only hope that Kendall and Noah will have such fond memories of our strawberry patch! Looks like Kendall's on her way....she even loves the smell of those little red gems...

7 comments:

California Girl said...

Oh, there is absolutely nothing better than fresh fruit and veggies from your very own garden. They look yummy!!!

Bridgett Hayes said...

Oh, I want some right now.

Kiki said...

Oh Yum!!!! I wish I had some of those right now...starwberries from the grocery never taste as good as fresh!!!

Are they hard to grow??

Unknown said...

If you see a strange guy riding a motorcycle in the strawberry patch don't be alarmed! :)

Logzie said...

I have never had FRESH strawberries right from a patch...ever. I'm such a city girl...it's pathetic! I have heard that they are WAY better though and can't wait to have some...maybe we'll plant those next year. This year I'm just a hoping that what I planted will turn into something. If it's sucessfull I can see myself going hog wild next year! Ha!

Kuckie said...

CG- I know! I can't wait for the rest of the stuff to grow!

Bridget - Come on over!

Kiki- Isn't that the truth? No, they aren't hard to grow. Plant a small patch as soon as you move into your new house. You won't get fruit the first year, but you will the next!

Rick - I would definitely be alarmed to see you riding through my little patch! But feel free to do some weeding while you're out there!

Logzie - Are you kidding me?? They are soooo good! Get yourself and the kids to a U-Pick patch and pick some berries, girl! Better yet, plant some in that garden of yours...they're super easy - no green thumb required!

KC said...

Oh wow, I want some! haha I love fresh strawberries. Our boys love them to. I buy some, and they are gone within a day..but the store bought are never as good as fresh!

 
Designed by Lena