Monday, June 30, 2008

Weekend Randomness

This weekend was supposed to be chock-full of activites...not a dull moment to be found. But then on Friday, a little bit of weirdness infiltrated our plans. I had an eye doctor appointment, so Deetra watched Noah for me while Kendall was at Camp Invention. We had planned to go up to the local library for their Friday Summer Concert Series, which this Friday was featuring Arnett Howard...one of our favorites! Since I wouldn't be back in time, Deetra offered to take Noah and Shea up there and I could just meet them. Perfect! As it turned out, my appointment went really fast, mostly due to the fact that once again, I have PERFECT vision. How blessed am I?!? So, anyway, I ended up beating them to the library. The concert was awesome, as usual, and the library had a great turnout. But even so, Noah just doesn't have the focus or drive to sit that long and behave. We made it almost an hour and then he (and I!!) was done!! I noticed on the way home that I had a little bit of a headache, but thought it was just tension due to the fact that I was frustrated with Noah and it was so humid. We got home, and Noah played with his cars until we had to leave to go pick Kendall up. Still I had that lingering headache...and now my eyes were very heavy...

During Kendall's camp showcase, I felt a little bit better, but still kind of "off". Afterward, we headed home and cancelled plans with Shawn and Deetra for dinner. I just didn't feel good, and knew I wouldn't be good company. Finally before bed, I took an Advil and hoped the combination of that and sleep would kick the headache's ass and I would wake up feeling great.

Not so. I woke up on Saturday feeling a little better, but still with a lingering pressure in my head and heavy eyes. I made the kids breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen, and sat down to read my blogs. When Barry got up (it was his day to sleep in), I continued to try to be productive, but it wasn't looking good. I let myself drift off to sleep on the couch for about an hour, and when I woke up, the room was spinning. It hurt to even move my eyeballs, and I got instantly nauseous if I moved top fast. What the hell? I was scheduled to do chair massage at the Gaming Convention downtown at 2:00, but I actually had to call and cancel (something I've NEVER done before), because I couldn't even get up and walk. It hurt to move, speak, and it even hurt to CLOSE my eyes. This was no good. Barry took Noah to his zoo camp and left Kendall to take care of me...she was very sweet and entertained herself the whole time. By the time he and Noah got back, I had managed to move myself into my comfy bed and was watching The Parent Trap with Kendall. I was starting to feel a little better, but still very lightheaded. And an hour or two after that, I actually made it outside to watch Barry shoot his new bow. That view brought a smile to my face...seriously, I'll take a strong, know-my-way-around-hunting-stuff, can-build-anything kind of guy to a metrosexual any day of the week! Rrrrrrrr....We went to bed, hoping that I would wake up more myself, as we had plans to drive an hour southwest to visit my dear friend Heather and her family for dinner Sunday. I did feel better, so we were happy we didn't have to cancel! We managed to get some work done around here before we left, and we had such a good time! The kids all get along so well, and of course, so do the adults! We had a wonderful dinner of Korean barbecued pork, corn on the cob, garlic and rosemary potatoes, and lemon bars. Mmmmmmm.....!!! Then it happened. My friend Heather is fiercely competitive and she and Barry have been competing now for 13 years!!!! It all stems back to the young and engaged days. We all went out one night, and Heather, who considered herself quite the "holder of her own liquor", challenged Barry to a drinking contest. I thought she was crazy. Heather's drink choice of the evening was Amaretto Sours and Barry, of course, was drinking beer...he was to drink 2 beers to every 1 of hers. I tried to talk to her about the implications of this decision, but she wouldn't have it. Well, you can certainly figure out how it ended...no need to rehash Heather's susequent crash-and-burn. Fast forward to yesterday...she is STILL talkin' trash about how she drank Barry under the table. Seriously, I don't think she remembers anything! So now she makes the HUGE mistake of telling Barry that she could totally kick his ass in an ice cream eating contest. I thought my ears must have been deceiving me, because everyone knows that Barry has a hollow leg...and Heather is lactose intolerant!!! I seriously thought she was nuts!!! What the heck was she thinking? There was no way this could turn out good. So anyway, her husband was sick of the trash talk that's been going on for the last 13 years, so he started scooping the ice cream and kept antagonizing her, telling her how she was letting him down and she was ruining the good Rando name, and was she sure she didn't want another scoop? After (very) large bowl # 2, she started to look gray. But she persevered and ate another bowl...and so did Barry. After the 3rd bowl and 3rd flavor, she had to concede. She looked positively miserable, maybe even more miserable than I did the day before, and there sat my husband, smiling and asking for another bowl. Oh, my dear Heather....you must learn to pick battles in which you have an ADVANTAGE, not a DISADVANTAGE!!!! I plan on calling her today to see if she kept it down...poor girl. And even as we were leaving, she was saying that taking her lactose-intolerant handicap into account, she probably actually did kick his ass. All I could do was shake my head as we pulled out of the drive. Here are the pics of the ice cream eating contest....Yes, Noah is helping in this picture, but we knew he would want some, so Bob put an extra scoop in Barry's bowl for him. I assure you it did NOT affect the outcome of the competition!!! LOL!!

Anyway, I am still feeling not quite right today, so Brian is getting me in for some emergency acupuncture, then I am headed to the chiropractor right after. Maybe what I really need is some of that ice cream....can you believe I sat and watched the entire competition and didn't even have one single bite???? Boy, there must be something wrong!!! HA!

8 comments:

KC said...

I hope you get to feeling better soon. That headache sounds like it was miserable! Yikes!

Kayris said...

Hope you feel better soon! I love the new layout!

Kate said...

Hey Kuckster - sorry you're not feeling well. Acutally the whole time I was reading it I was thinking "migraine. migraine. migraine." That's usually how they make me feel. I just need to hole up for a day or even two with no light, no sounds, no movementt. Hope the acupuncture works - what a blessing to work with those kinds of people.

Jenelle said...

Sounds like a migraine to me. The "halo" or after effects can last for a couple of days. Hopefully a bit of TLC will help. Adjustments usually help mine (and imatrex).

Teresa said...

I have to say that I am glad at how this post ended...I kept reading on fearing that you ended up in the ER or something...I SO GLAD you didn't! But...yes, what you described did sound migrain'ish' to me too. I'm sorry...atleast you had a good end to the weekend. Keep us posted about the acupuncture. I'm so intrigued with that. I think I asked you before...but...does it hurt?

Evil Transport Lady said...

Sounds like a migraine?? Ick feel better fast! AND I love the new layout!

Deetra said...

Tell Brian Hi! I love the new layout of your blog. The picture is just beautiful. I know you didn't feel well most of the weekend but at least you saw Heather. Sounds like you had fun.

California Girl said...

Oh how I empathize with you. I am so sorry you're having such a bad headache. I thought of what everyone else thought of - migraine. Those knock me out and kick my backside something fierce. I hope you feel better soon.

 
Designed by Lena