Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Good Saturday Project


Being the "bug girl" she is, Kendall had been dying for an ant farm for about a year now. She finally got one for her birthday in January and was so pleased, I think she may have peed her pants! Well, as you all know, there are no ants around in January...and we thought it was silly to send away for the ants (and pay $4.oo for them to be shipped) when we have a whole yard full of ants just ripe for the picking.

With the weather finally getting warmer, and Noah napping, we pulled out the ant farm and plotted our plan of attack on the ants. I went out with her first, carrying a baby food jar, thinking I could just scoop them up. WRONG!!!!
Kendall would knock down the ant hill and the ants would scurry all over the place, panicking. I would then try to scoop them up with the lid of the jar. The problem was, I couldn't get them scooped up very well, and certainly NOT without getting a whole bunch of dirt in there as well.

So we had to admit defeat. We needed Daddy. Kendall went inside and described our problem. Sure enough, Daddy had a solution (as usual)! He came out and showed Kendall how to use a piece of paper to let the ants crawl on and then dump them into the jar. Why didn't I think of that???

With the ants in hand, we all came inside to get this project going. Pretty simple really, make 3 holes in the green gel, dump your ants in, and place the cap securely on top. And yes, I double checked to make sure it was fastened TIGHT. It cracks me up because these kids are obsessed with these ants and what they are doing.

So now we have an ant farm and a grow-a-frog going. Science projects abound here at the cabin!
Oh, you haven't seen the pics of Sam, the grow-a-frog yet, have you??? Well, I'll fix that soon enough! Keep an eye out for Sam!!

3 comments:

KC said...

Oh how fun. But I HATE ants. We seem to just have Fire Ants around here. They seem to be impossible to get rid of, and if they get on you, they bite and it stings really bad!

Jenelle said...

LOL. Glad that my kids haven't learned about those projects yet. Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see Sam.

Logzie said...

Oh...Logan would so be into an Ant farm too!! I think Logan and Kendall would be great friends...they seem to like the same things...well maybe Kendall is a little more daring but I think that would do Logan some good! Ha!

 
Designed by Lena