Sunday, May 25, 2008

Happy Saturday!

Happy Saturday, everyone! My Saturday started off soooo good. I was the first one up! I got to wake up when my body wanted to, not when someone needed breakfast, or wanted to play, or needed to get ready for school! It was awesome! But being that it was 6:45 (WTF???), I didn't know what to do with myself. So, I decided to make myself some tea and then got busy making some homemade blueberry muffins, eggs, and turkey sausage. When I was finished, and the kitchen was cleaned up, I roused the troops from their slumber and summoned them to breakfast. What a nice way to start the day! Wish we could do it every morning...The only thing on our agenda for Saturday was work. The grass needed mowing, the garden needed planting, the last of the mulching awaited us, and of course, with the weather being so nice, I wanted to wash all of the bedding and get it out on the line. The kids had one thing on their agenda too...PLAYING. All kinds. They checked on their chicks, dug up worms in the garden, played in the sandbox, drove the jeep, did bubbles on the deck...Of course, we had to take time out to have a snack. It was such a beautiful day, that the only thing that made sense was watermelon...
Even Scout was up for lots of playing. But he gets so hot in the sun that after a while, he just wants to lay down and rest. Today, he picked Kendall's beach towel as the perfect napping place!
Barry and I were not as productive as we would have liked. To start off, Barry couldn't get the mower running. UGH!!! NOT GOOD! Our lawn was so high, we could have baled it...and I'm not kidding, either. He tinkered around replacing parts and working on it most of the morning, and when it still wasn't running by 1:30, I called the neighbors to see if we could borrow theirs. They were getting ready for the graduation party they're having on Sunday, so they were mowing! CRAP. Then Barry got on the horn to our other neighbors, who we knew were spending the day painting, and got the OK to use theirs. So finally, I started mowing around 2:30. It took me a while to get the hang of their mower, because it is one of those big zero radius Club Cadet jobbies. It drives completely differently than my big mower. Anyway, I got the whole front done and Barry did the sides and around the pond. We just have to do the back yet.

While the kids were playing up on the deck, I finished planting flowers and spreading the mulch, so we did get that finished. And I did get all my bedding washed, so that's something! We didn't get to the garden, though, so we'll work on it Sunday before we head off to the graduation party.

Now I know you're all thinking, "All you people do is work!!!", and while I know it seems that way sometimes, I assure you that we are enjoying it! It feels good to fall into bed at night completely tired and having accomplished so much. And, to put your minds at ease, we are taking Monday completely off from working. We have invited a group of friends over to cook out and fish and let the kids play in the sprinkler and sandbox...and just sit and relax. ALL. DAY. LONG. No working, I promise.

Hope you all have a wonderful long weekend too! Don't work too hard!! Heehee!!!

7 comments:

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Is that deck 100% done now? I know you'll enjoy the outside living this summer.

Jenelle said...

Busy but a good day. What are you going to plant in your garden?

Congrats on accomplishing a LOT and glad that you have generous neighbors.

Kiki said...

What kind of dog is Scout because he looks like a BIG dog?!?! It looks like despite the trouble with the lawnmower you all stilll managed to have a good time and get some work done!!! Hope you enjoy your weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds much like our weekend. We have to take advantage of the days when no one is working and there are no ball games or practices or places to be. Today is gorgeous... warm and sunny and we're going to make it a play and relax day.

Chachi said...

I agree, it always feels good when you know you have acomplished something, even if you go to bed exhausted. Hope your Monday was a success.

kenady said...

Sounds like a fantastic Saturday!

Logzie said...

I think it's fantastic that you guys always get so much work done...it's so rewarding to accomplish those kinds of things and your place/property always looks amazing! Besides, that feeling of falling into bed at night after a long hard day of working is a great feeling too...and you're doing it as a family...is there anything better??

:)

 
Designed by Lena