Thursday, May 22, 2008

Meet Sam...and the chicks!

Here he is, Kendall's grow-a-frog, Sam! He came to us as a tadpole, but now his tale is disappearing and his back legs are formed. Kendall and Noah check on his progress every single day and report to us what exactly is happening. Isn't he cute? And such an easy little pet...which is what I like!

Now this other science project, on the other hand, is a little more work! Last night Barry picked up our 2 week old baby chicks. Aren't they sweet? The kids (and the dog) are beside themselves with excitement! Kendall was up at 6:15 this morning, fully dressed and ready to go so she would have plenty of time with her chicks...yeah, she usually gets up at 7:45, so I wasn't all that happy to see her at 6:15!!! But anyway, here she is, bedhead and all...playing with her chicks!Kendall is a natural with animals (and bugs...and reptiles...). She spent the entire morning hand-feeding her chicks, checking the temperature in their box, and making sure they were all happy and not crowding each other.
I hope these are the last pets we'll be getting for a while. A dog, a cat, an ant farm, one grow-a-frog, 2 roosters, 2 hens, 11 chicks...it's a little much, don't you think? And to think Barry wants steers too...I'm tired just thinking about it!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Get a goat. At least it will "mow" the grass for you.

Anonymous said...

Both Sam and the chicks are cute! If we had more space, we'd probably be overrun with creatures. Thankfully, it's easy to say no when there's limited space.

KC said...

You got your own little farm going there. :)
That is so cute that she loves animals so much, and is so good with them. Maybe she will grow up to be a vet or something.

Stacy said...

wow that's a lot of animals

California Girl said...

ok - totally cute! And what a family you all are to take care of so many animals! I do agree with Bonnie - get a goat so it will 'mow' your lawn.

Jenelle said...

And a partridge in a pear tree? You are going to turn into a hobby farmer yet. Kendall is so sweet, early, but sweet.

country mouse said...

so cute : )

Kiki said...

My family will tell you, I'm no "nature girl", so I've got a silly question....will any of those birds provide eggs that you can eat??? Just curious!!! Kendall looks so cute with the chicks, proud mama!!!

Kuckie said...

Bonnie- I tried that. Barry doesn't want goats. He says they're pains in the a#$.

Terri- Yeah, I'm running out of reasons to say no...except for "Because I said so..." HA!

KC - you aren't kidding!

Snowman - I know!

CG-see above! ;0)

Jenelle - I'm thinking we already are!

Countrymouse - thanks...

Kiki- YES! Our whole motivation behind getting the chickens is the eggs. I'm not much into butchering them, I just like fresh eggs! And the chickens are easy, really.

Anonymous said...

And a partridge in a pear tree!

Mom

 
Designed by Lena